Second Bishop of Fond du Lac
The Commemoration of Blessed Charles Chapman Grafton is an observed Feast Day of the Diocese of Fond du Lac in the Christian tradition of honoring the anniversary of Grafton's earthly death and heavenly birth. It is included in the Episcopal Church's "Holy Men, Holy Women."
The 2015 Commemoration will be observed on Saturday, August 29th at the Cathedral of St. Paul the Apostle, Fond du Lac. Our speaker is the Very Rev. Steven A. Peay, Dean and President of Nashotah House Theological Seminary.
The schedule of the day is as follows:
2:00pm Display of Archival Artifacts
2:30pm Dean Peay's Presentation on Grafton
3:45pm Evening Prayer led by Carolyn Rauschert, Pastoral Leader, St. Barnabas. Tomahawk
4:15pm The Holy Eucharist, the Rt. Rev. Matthew Gunter, Bishop of Fond du Lac, Celebrant
5:30pm Garden Party in the Cathedral Close
You are also invited to attend the 56th Annual Diocesan Eucharistic Festival beginning at 11am the same day.
|2014||Bishop Grafton: Evangelical at heart, while in belief a Catholic
by the Rt. Rev. Rev. Matthew Gunter, 8th Bishop of Fond du Lac.
Homily by the Very Rev. Brian Beno, Dean of St. Paul's Cathedral.
|2013||Bishop Grafton and the Identity of the Episcopal Church in the 21st Century
by the Rt. Rev. R. William Franklin, 11th Bishop of the Diocese of Western New York.
Homily by the Rt. Rev. Edward L. Salmon, Jr., Dean of Nashotah House.
|2012||Grafton and the Confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament
by Mr. Richard J. Mammana, Jr., Founder and Director of Project Canterbury.
|2011||Grafton and the Religious Life
by the Rev. John D. Alexander, Rector, Ss. Stephen's, Providence, RI.
|2010||Homily by the Rt. Rev. Russell E. Jacobus, Seventh Bishop of Fond du Lac|
Blessed Charles Chapman Grafton ~ 1830-1912
|2008||Barnum, Bailey and Grafton
presented by Mrs. Ruth Spoeri, Archivist, Cathedral of St. Paul, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
|2007||Hosted at the Sisterhood of the Holy Nativity, Bethlehem-by-the-Lake, Green Lake, Wisconsin.
Homily by the Rev. Daniel Repp, Vicar, St. Paul's, Plymouth.
|2006||Homily by the Rt. Rev. Russell E. Jacobus, Seventh Bishop of Fond du Lac|
|2005||A Homily On the Commemoration of
Blessed Charles C. Grafton
by the Rev. Dean A. Einerson, Rector, St. Augustine's, Rhinelander.
|2004||Homily by the Rt. Rev. Russell E. Jacobus, Seventh Bishop of Fond du Lac.|
The Rt. Rev. Charles Chapman Grafton (April 12, 1830-August 30, 1912) was Second Bishop of Fond du Lac, the Episcopal Church encompassing the northeast part of Wisconsin. He was an ardent supporter of the Oxford Movement and developing Anglo-Catholicism in the Episcopal Church, especially with the voluminous writings following the consecration of a Coadjutor in 1900.
Born in Boston, he came under the influence of William Croswell, founder of Church of the Advent, a leading Anglo-Catholic parish. In 1853 he graduated from Harvard with a degree in law but found himself drawn toward the ordained ministry. Grafton studied theology under Bishop William Whittingham of Maryland and was ordained deacon on Dec. 23, 1855. He began ordained ministry as assistant at Reisterstown, Maryland and on May 30, 1858, was ordained priest and served as curate at St. Paul's, Baltimore, as well as chaplain of the deaconesses of the Diocese of Maryland.
At the close of the Civil War Grafton went to England and with Richard Meux Benson and Simeon Wilberforce O'Neill, co-founded the Society of St. John the Evangelist (known as the Cowley Fathers). Grafton returned to the United States and in 1872 became fourth Rector of Church of the Advent. A jurisdictional dispute concerning Grafton's overseas religious superior led to his withdrawal from SSJE.
Grafton helped to establish the American Congregation of Saint Benedict (now The Benedictine Order of St John the Beloved) and in 1888 along with Mother Ruth Margaret founded the Sisterhood of the Holy Nativity. Grafton was consecrated Bishop of Fond du Lac on April 25, 1889. During his tenure the strength of the diocese in terms of spirituality, membership and buildings grew tremendously. He served as diocesan until his death, leaving behind a legacy of printed works, sermons and essays.
Consecration of the
Seated (l to r):
Standing (l to r):
Grafton found himself at the center of controversy in 1900 when he presided at the consecration of Reginald Heber Weller as Bishop Coadjutor of Fond du Lac. A number of bishops from neighboring dioceses took part in the service. Also in attendance, at Grafton's invitation, was Tikhon, Russian Orthodox Bishop of Alaska and the Aleutian Islands.
Following the service the bishops went to the back steps of Grafton Hall, a girl's borading school behind St. Paul's Cathedral, and posed for a picture. This is believed to be the first time bishops of the Episcopal Church were photographed wearing copes and mitres. The picture became to be known as "the Fond du Lac Circus" and was widely published in church publications as well as secular publication and caused a heated controversy.
A number of issues are associated with this photo. First, the Episcopal Church in its first century had been mostly low church, though high church and broad church groups were also present. The low church faction typically identified itself as Protestant, contrasted with the high church faction which typically identified itself with a Catholic, connected with others such as the Roman Catholic (though there was some belief it had lost its way), Old Catholic and Orthodox Churches. This photo, showing Episcopal bishops dressed in catholic vestments (as opposed to a more Protestant rochet, chimere, and tippet) was an outrage to many low church members of the Episcopal Church.
Added to this was that the service included other denominational leaders. Grafton invited Bishop Tikhon and his Orthodox entourage along with Bishop Kozlowski of the Polish National Catholic Church to attend, not merely to observe, but to participate. Ultimately, they did not join in the laying on of hands, but did vest and sit with the other bishops present. This was also scandalous to many low church members of the Episcopal Church who held that Episcopalians had more in common with the other Protestant denominations than with the Old Catholics or "Greek Catholics" (i.e., Orthodox).